Planning is the Key
Retirement is an important life event and it is vital you take time to plan. Use the links below to learn the details of what to do as you prepare to receive a retirement benefit from OPERS.
- How to Apply - If you are participating in the Traditional Pension Plan, you can now file for retirement electronically through your Online Account. If you are participating in the Member-Directed or Combined Plan, or if you are not able to apply online, there are a number of forms that must be completed and submitted to Ohio PERS for your retirement application to be processed. Click on How to Apply for more information.
- Documents to Provide - There are a number of documents you must provide along with your retirement application.
- Things to Consider - You have many things to think about as you are completing your retirement application.
Additional Items to Keep in Mind
- We recommend filing for retirement at least 60 days, but not more than six months prior to your retirement effective date.
- If you are married, your spouse may be required to sign the retirement application or a separate affidavit. Signatures on the retirement application or affidavit must be notarized.
- The estimated timeframe for receiving your first retirement benefit is approximately 60 days after your retirement effective date. This payment will be retroactive back to your retirement effective date.
Online Account Access
Registration for an online account is available by clicking here. Using your online account lets you view you account information online at any time of day, wherever you have an Internet connection.
Most members are able to file for retirement on their own using the "Apply for Retirement" link through their online accounts. If you have questions while filing for retirement through your online account, please feel free to call us at 1-800-222-7377. If, however, you feel you need to sit down with one of our counselors face-to-face, we strongly recommend that you schedule an appointment. You can schedule an appointment through your online account by selecting "Tools and Resources", then "Seminars and Counseling" from the menu bar on your Online Account. You can also schedule an appointment by calling us at 1-800-222-7377 to set up an appointment.
You may also wish to contact a tax advisor or consider your federal and state tax withholding amounts for your retirement benefit.
Hours of Operation
Retirement planning appointments are scheduled weekdays from 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.