General Information

Below you will find answers to a set of some of the most frequently asked questions about the OPERS' pension plans. Click on the arrows beside the questions to either reveal or hide the answers.

What is the OPERS Online Account?

The Online Account allows members to view their account information online. To access their Online Account, a member will be required to register and obtain a Password.

How do I get my Password?

Current members, who have already accessed their account information through their OPERS online account, will use the same password.

For members who don't have an online account, click "Member Login" in the top right corner of the home page. You can obtain a password by clicking "Need an Account?" and answering a few simple questions. You select your password at the time of registration.

I forgot my Password. How can I get another one?

If you’ve forgotten your password, click "Member Login" in the top right corner of the home page and then click "Forgot User ID or Password?" on the log in page. You’ll be required to answer a few questions, including the challenge question you selected at the time of registration.

After correctly answering the questions, you will be emailed a temporary password and will be prompted to log in and change your password.

If you can’t remember the answer to your challenge question, contact Member Services at 1-800-222-7377 for assistance.

What is an OPERS ID?

A unique, randomly generated 11-digit number assigned to you by Ohio PERS. This unique identifier will serve as your secure identity with Ohio PERS, and will be used in many instances from verifying your identity over the phone to submitting Ohio PERS forms. Your OPERS ID will not change. You will have the option to use your OPERS ID if you are not comfortable using your Social Security number (SSN), or you can continue using your SSN as your identifier. Anyone who became an Ohio PERS benefit recipient prior to 05/XX/2013 will not have an OPERS ID at this time.

I forgot my OPERS ID, where can I find it?

Members can find their OPERS ID on their Online Account. After logging in to the Online Account, the OPERS ID can either be found in the header of any Online Account page, or it can be found in the "Personal Information" panel after clicking the "My Profile" tab.

I received a text message from OPERS. Who receives my text message if I respond?

OPERS will not receive your text message. If you need to contact OPERS, either use the "Message Center," available for encrypted message transmission on the OPERS Web site, or call OPERS at 1-800-222-PERS (7377). To utilize the "Message Center" you must first establish your Online Account.

What does OPERS accept as proof of date of birth?

If you are applying for benefits, OPERS will require proof of your date of birth. Oftentimes, this would be a copy of your birth certificate. A legible photo copy of your birth certificate is acceptable. If you do not have a birth certificate, there are other ways to prove your birth date.

In the event of a change of name you also must submit supporting documentation, such as a marriage certificate, a decree of divorce or dissolution that restores your prior name, court order which shows the change or Social Security card.