Disability benefits may be available for those members who are disabled from their last position of public employment.
OPERS offers Traditional Pension Plan members, who are eligible, one of two disability programs -- the Original Plan or the Revised Plan. Employees who had contributions on deposit with OPERS on July 29, 1992 had a one-time opportunity to select coverage under one of these programs. Those employees hired after July 29, 1992 are covered only under the Revised plan.
The following links to the Disability Benefits leaflet provide valuable information regarding disability benefits.
- View: Disability Benefits Recorded Presentation
- Important Considerations: This section will provide you with important information you may want to consider before applying for a disability benefit
- Eligibility: This section will provide you with all the necessary requirements for the disability benefit.
- Application: This section will provide you with the necessary information needed when applying for a disability benefit
- Disability Definitions: This section will provide you with information regarding the Own Occupation –vs- Any Occupation definition.
- Disability Benefit Amounts: This section will provide insight into the disability benefit calculation formula given your respective plan.
- Health Care: This section will take you to the Health Care Coverage Guide that will provide important information regarding healthcare coverage while receiving a disability benefit. Please read the OPERS health care coverage guide regarding health care eligibility when receiving a disability benefit.
- SSDI: This section covers the SSDI application requirements and potential impacts to the disability benefit.
- Rehabilitative Services & Continued Medical Treatment: This section covers the requirements for continued receipt of your disability benefits.
- Termination: This sections explains the circumstances in which a disability benefit may be terminated.
- Appeal This section will explain your right to appeal and the appeal process.
If you need further assistance in understanding any of the information provided, please contact the OPERS Member Services Center at 1-800-222-PERS-(7377).