Changing Information

Changing Bank

It is important to keep OPERS informed of any changes in your bank account information to prevent any delay in receiving your monthly benefit. You can update your existing bank information through your Online Account. Alternatively, you may notify us of any changes to your bank account information by obtaining an Address/Bank/Name Change Request form.

Or, you may contact OPERS at 1-800-222-PERS (7377) and request to have this form mailed to you. Please allow 30 days for this change to take effect.

Changing Address

Even though you are using direct deposit, you may still receive newsletters, tax information, and other publications from us at your mailing address. It is important to notify us when your home address changes. If you split your year between different homes (e.g. south in the winter, north in the summer), you also should let us know where your checks and any other correspondence should be mailed during different times of the year.

You may update your address by accessing your personal account through your Online Account. Or, you may obtain an Address/Bank/Name Change Request form. Finally, you may request a form by calling OPERS at 1-800-222-PERS (7377).

Please be as accurate as possible when you correspond with us, especially with post office box numbers, state route numbers and zip codes. The post office has become automated, and your mail may be delayed or returned to us due to incomplete addresses and street names.