Replacement of Lost or Destroyed Benefit Checks

There may be a time when you do not receive the benefit check we send to your address on file or it may be lost or destroyed upon receipt. Here are a few simple steps to follow so OPERS may issue a replacement check:

After we receive the properly completed Check Replacement form, we will proceed to issue a replacement check. If a stop payment was not put on the original check, we will place a stop payment when the form is returned. Processing the stop payment requires five business days. We will issue your replacement check once the stop payment process has been completed.