Open Enrollment 2022
Open enrollment for 2022 is under way and this means different things depending on whether you are a Pre-Medicare or a Medicare-eligible OPERS benefit recipient.
If you are eligible for the OPERS Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA) in 2022, you will receive information regarding the HRA and OPERS vision and dental plans. If you are not eligible for the OPERS HRA, you'll receive only information about vision and dental coverage.
The packet contains:
- an open enrollment statement which features your 2022 monthly HRA deposit amount, if eligible, and premiums for the OPERS vision and dental plans,
- a 2022 OPERS Health Care Program Guide which provides lots of information about eligibility for the health care program, the OPERS HRA, Medicare requirements and the OPERS vision and dental plans, or a 2022 OPERS Vision and Dental Plan Guide if you do not qualify to receive the OPERS HRA.
Pre-Medicare-Eligible OPERS Benefit Recipients
Effective Dec. 31, 2021, OPERS will no longer offer a medical or prescription drug plan. During open enrollment, you'll need to opt in to the Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA) through the OPERS Pre-Medicare Connector (Via Benefits) to begin receiving monthly HRA deposits in 2022. And, although, it's not required, we recommend you explore individual and family medical plan options with Via Benefits.
If you haven't already, please contact Via Benefits and schedule an appointment between Nov. 1 and Dec. 15, 2021 to opt in to the HRA and explore individual and family medical plans for 2022.
Below are some items to keep in mind:
- Via Benefits will be reaching out to Pre-Medicare retirees by phone to encourage scheduling an appointment and offer assistance in completing an online profile. Keep in mind that your caller ID may not always show "Via Benefits", but the caller will identify themselves and explain the purpose of the call. If you prefer to initiate the contact rather than take an inbound call, please do so using the information below.
- To reach Via Benefits by phone, call 1-833-939-1215 or call OPERS at 1-800-222-7377 and choose option "1" for health care issues and then "2" for Pre-Medicare Connector. Once you reach Via Benefits, you'll need to provide two of the following three pieces of information before speaking to a representative: phone number, date of birth, and zip code.
- You can build an online profile, schedule an enrollment call, register for an education event or watch educational videos by visiting marketplace.viabenefits.com/opers. You will also be able to shop for 2022 medical plans on the Via Benefits website beginning Nov. 1. Building your online profile now will help your appointment to go much more smoothly.
Medicare-Eligible OPERS Benefit Recipients
Medical plan through Via Benefits
Review the 2022 medical and prescription drug plan details provided by your plan administrator. Look for changes in premiums, plan design and prescription drug formulary. If you are unsure of any changes to your medical or prescription drug plan for 2022, reach out to Via Benefits. Remember, in order to continue receiving monthly HRA deposits, you must be enrolled in a Medicare medical plan through Via Benefits.
Enrolling, making changes or cancelling coverage? Contact Via Benefits between Oct 15. and Dec. 7, 2021 at 1-844-287-9945 (TTY: 711). Selecting a Medigap plan may require medical underwriting and can be done any time of year.
OPERS Vision and Dental Plans
Open enrollment is your opportunity to enroll in, cancel or change OPERS vision and/or dental coverage for yourself and any eligible dependents for 2022.
- If you are enrolled or wish to enroll in optional OPERS vision and/or dental coverage, you can use the form within your open enrollment packet to enroll, cancel or change your level of coverage for 2022. You can call OPERS between Oct. 15 and Dec. 15, 2021 to change your plan level or cancel coverage.
- If you have specific questions about how much the vision and dental plans pay for certain services, please call the plan vendors directly. Contact information is available within your packet.
OPERS is offering Open Enrollment webinars for both Pre-Medicare and Medicare-eligible benefit recipients. Visit the Member Education Center at opers.org to register. All webinars are also available as Recorded Presentations to watch at your convenience.
For more information about changes to the OPERS health care program in 2022 and answers to many frequently asked questions, please visit the Health Care 2022 section on this site.
OPERS is offering two different Open Enrollment webinars – one for Pre-Medicare and one for Medicare retirees. Use the links below to register.