Member-Directed Plan Your Investment Options
One of the most important features of the Member-Directed Plan is the flexibility you have to make investment decisions suitable for your individual needs.
Since you are directing your investments and accepting the risk, be prepared to take an active role.
This means carefully considering all your investment options, developing an investment strategy and maintaining your account.
Your Investment Options
You can choose from 10 target date funds (TDF), six standalone funds, a Self-Directed Brokerage Account, or any combination of all three.
In the Member-Directed plan you get to choose how to invest your account. Some members may invest everything into a single target date fund, whereas other members may choose to allocate their investments across several standalone funds. If you select the Member-Directed Plan, your investments will default to the TDF closest to your 65th birthday. You may change your investment option if you choose.
Target Date Funds
OPERS offers 10 target date funds. They are a one-stop investment option for your long-term retirement planning.
- Managed by BlackRock® investment experts and overseen by OPERS Investments staff.
- As your target date (and retirement) approaches, the investments get more conservative. This helps to reduce the impact regular market fluctuations have on your account.
- If you work past your target date fund, it will have reached maturity and convert into the LifePath Retirement Fund. (Members can reallocate this money to another fund).
OPERS offers six funds ranging from lower-risk, income-oriented options to higher-risk, growth-oriented options.
- Managed by BlackRock or Invesco investment experts and overseen by OPERS Investments staff
- Offer you the chance to invest in sections of the market
- These funds may offer increased potential risk/reward
Returns For All Investment Options
- View the most recent month end returns (PDF opens in new tab)
Self-Directed Brokerage Account
Members in the Member-Directed Plan with an established account have the option to choose a mutual fund-only Self-Directed Brokerage Account, through Charles Schwab's Personal Choice Retirement Account®. This account provides members with the ability to choose mutual funds outside of the core OPERS investment options.
In order to participate in the OPERS Self-Directed Brokerage Account, the following requirements must be met:
- You must be an OPERS Member-Directed or Combined plan participant
- Your individual account balance must be a minimum of $5,000 before the self-directed brokerage account can be established
- A maximum of 90 percent of your individual account balance can be invested in the self-directed brokerage account
Enroll in the OPERS Self-Directed Brokerage Account
If your account meets the criteria above, you're eligible to enroll in the Charles Schwab PCRA.
You'll need two codes to sign up (see below).
More information on the self-directed brokerage account
- Video: OPERS Self-Directed Brokerage Account
- Schwab PCRA Enrollment Guide
- List of Mutual Funds available to the plan.
- Commissions and Transaction Fees for Trade Orders
- Schwab PCRA fact sheet
To learn more visit the Education Resources page.
Your account value in the Member-Directed Plan or the defined contribution portion of your Combined Plan is not a guaranteed amount. It is dependent on the performance of the investment options you select.