Defined Benefit Fund Private Equity
OPERS seeks to maintain a top-tier Private Equity program that generates leading, risk-adjusted, long-term returns.
The following information details the short and long-term strategic efforts for achieving this objective.
These items describe additional approaches for maintaining a competitive Private Equity program:
- Staff development - The Private Equity staff will continue to build core competencies. These will include performing due diligence, administering advisory roles, and monitoring portfolio compliance. Longer-term, we anticipate developing capabilities to capture the economic advantages of co-investment opportunities.
- Networking - Information is critical and we will maximize our market knowledge by participating in industry conferences and actively networking with peers, including public and corporate plans, endowments, foundations, and financial institutions.
- Active participation in partnerships - Partnership rights, including participation in advisory boards and valuation committees, will be fully exercised. We will also participate in all meetings and actively monitor partnership compliance.
- Remain opportunistic - While operating consistently with the Private Equity Policy, we will remain alert and rapidly assess unforeseeable opportunities. As markets evolve, situations may arise that require timely, critical analysis and/or contrarian approaches. We must remain open to new ideas and unique investment structures.
- Maintain patience - OPERS has a competitive advantage in the marketplace with the ability to provide long-term capital. We will remain committed to our policy and strategy and resist pressures to disrupt investment pacing or force sales.